Monday, October 15, 2007

New clan, same Wes

So on saturday I was officially sworn in as a member of the Bakomba clan in Eastern Uganda. Normally, clan membership is reserved for extended family members, but since I asked the head of the clan, who is also my supervisor's father to join, he readily agreed to ask the executive council to let me join. They agreed and I am now a member! My new name is Mukomba Kampanya, which as you remember from previous posts, Kampanya is my local name (small, he-goat) and from this post you know that Mukomba is someone from the Bakomba clan. I have an ID card that I will receive shortly and will be named to a leadership postion at the general clan meeting on Nov 3rd. I love Africa! So many fun, unique things to do that I would never be able to experience in America. But seriously, I am honored that they accept me as one of them and they have already started making arrangements to introduce my parents as members too when they come to visit! However, the folks don't seem too thrilled, but unfortunately, they won't have much choice! :)

How the ceremony worked, was the head of the clan, the Papa Bakomba, asked the executive members if they would accept me as a member. After verbal agreement, the Papa asked me if I accepted. Then I sat on this super small stool while everyone surrounded me and congratulated me. After a woman let out a joyful scream (which suprised me), everyone started singing and dancing to the clan theme song, which sounds exactly like the Friends theme....ok, that's a lie! I didn't understand the words, but it had to do something about destroying your enemies...

Afterwards, they talked over clan business, like how to kick out the member who murdered his son, when the next meeting was, and how much next year's dues will be. I had a huge lunch of Wita (millet/cassava bready doughy thing), rice, matoke (smashed plantains), chicken and beef.

Ok, that's it for now. Still buzzing from my induction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Mom and Dad get in, you know Sean and I have to be inducted, too, when we come. And can we get an honorary membership for Gus?