Tuesday, April 10, 2007

closer to the next 2 years

Ok, found an internet place in the town of Luwero that is pretty consistent. All is well, I'm plodding along in training. We are in week 6 with 4 more to go. I find out on friday exactly where i will be. I have a wild guest based on the fact that I am the only health volunteer in the language group and I know, based on talking to current volunteers, about a site opening up in my language area. If it is said site, it sounds like it is a great opportunity. i'll keep everyone posted.

On saturday, we went on a tour of some falls (don't remember the name...starts with 2 ss's) and a national forest that might be torn down for sugar cane fields and a tour of Jinja. We saw the source of the nile, wear the nile river flows from lake victoria and flows north up to
Egypt. Very beautiful.

As part of our training as health volunteers, we have been touring different health facilities and traditional healers and birth attendants. Every experience has been educational, heartbreaking, and hopeful, all at once.

After riding several cramped, fast driving taxis, I have decided that I am, as my 6'2" friend Derrick says, "not travel-sized." I think the taxis or matatus (spelling?) are made for people under 5'8'. It is not fun to travel in this country, i have the knee and head bruises to prove it! The roads are insane here, there are so many close calls, that i just fall asleep so I don't have to watch what's going on.

that's it for now, i don't know when i'll get on again. once i get to site, I will have more time to use internet. hope all is well...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Wes, you may not remember me, but my name is Art Price III....I hope things are well with you, and from what I can tell, they are indeed! I'm currently living in the UK with my wife and daughter, and things have turned out alright for me as well :)

Next time i'm in Uganda on business, i'll look you up.

Cheers;

Art Price III

Anonymous said...

You might want to keep a little notebook with you to write down the names of the places you see. We don't want to see your pictures when you get home and the whole time you are "Uh, yeah, that was cool, don't remember where it was or what it was!" I did that for my Europe pictures and it was really helpful because I couldn't remember any of the places or why I had taken pictures of something when I got home. Sounds like you are having fun, can't wait to hear your official place so I can start planning to visit it! (Oh, and you..) Love ya bro.
-Marci

Anonymous said...

Hi Wes,
Your Dad kept us posted until now but it will be fun traveling with you and reading about your time there. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Ginger