Monday, May 12, 2008

BBQ'ing!

So on saturday, I had a very successful, very tasty BBQ at my house in the village. It was the first party i've thrown and people were really happy with the results. Combined with the pork collection efforts of my friend Brad, we cooked up about 6 kilos of pork (including ribs), a pack of sausages and tons of veggies and pineapple! The food was amazing and all 10 or so of my guests ate a ton of meat. This was the first time i'd bought pork in the village and was very successful. I now know where the guy is and can go back in the future. The image of flesh hanging from a hook or just sitting on banana leaves with flies all over it doesn't bother me anymore. It's no longer intimidating either. I still have to fight being overcharged, but now that I know the relative price, i can manage. The meat was marinaded in this Jamaican Jerk marinade that someone sent me as well as a ton of spices and other stuff. I was great to have an American style BBQ out in the village on my 1-year anniversary as an official Peace Corps Volunteer. I'll post another blog reflecting on my 1-year of service and the year to come.

All for now, just wanted you to know I'm eating well...sometime! Take care and check out my new photos (finally!).

1 comment:

Di said...

You can go back in the future without a Flux Capacitor?!! Things ARE more developed in the east than I thought!
Love the blog- thank you for your work ;) <- yeah, my life is a text message.