Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pacing to Top 40 Hits

Ok, now that I poured out my heart on the internet, I'll tell you a little about what life is like in Casa De Wes. Well, it's a lot of fun, I'll tell you that! Especially if you like Top 40 R & B hits from both America and Africa and enjoy watching me pace around my house and talk to lizards. Am I crazy?? Possibly. But I have fun and don't judge me! Ok, you can judge. I think I'm talking to myself...

Ok, but seriously folks, the national pop music station is one of my best friends here. Sounds pathetic, but it's not. Some people write, others read books, some go running, while others garden. Me? I listen to music. That's what de-stresses me and keeps me company when I'm alone in my house in the middle of nowhere. Now a lot of people listen to music, but not to one radio station religiously. I think I do this because 1, it keeps me company and breaks the silence, and 2, I've always been a radio guy. Even in America, I rarely listened to CD's or recorded music. It was all pop radio, all the time. The radio here provides entertainment and comfort. Most songs are not really deep or inspiring, but they are upbeat, fun, and catchy. Yeah, Akon isn't exactly Mozart, but he keeps my stress down and my nights filled with entertainment.

So what am I doing while I'm listening to music? Just staring at the wall watching lizards fight? Well...sometimes! Mostly what I do, which by the way is really annoying to my friends, is pace around my house from room to room. I do this under the guise of cleaning, but after a couple of hours, i often stop, look around, and realize that my house is still a mess. "What have you been doing all this time?" my friends ask. Well, I'll tell you! I've been moving things around from one surface to another and doing small, incomplete tasks that over enough time (about 3 hours i've calculated), add up to real results. This pacing exercise provides much needed exercise and I'm often exausted after "finishing". Of course I could totally be more efficient in my tasking, like, maybe completing one task before starting another, but that'd just be a crazy waste of time! :) Oh, and there's always a lot of Crystal Lite drinking involved (and the time consuming trips to the latrine that follow). So, with all this obsessive, ADD cleaning, is my house spotless? NO! Somehow I manage to turn it into a war zone in no time. But it's not really dirty, it's just "cluttered" as my friend Jessica says.

That about sums up life in my home. Oh, things are growing in my garden that look awfully like they could produce food at some point (ie, they don't look like grass). And my chicken had 6 babies, 3 didn't make for some reason. I didn't fully understand the explanation from the guy tending them for me. And I saw a lady make peanut butter! And the baby of her female goat named "Beef" is going to be named after me!!...maybe I am going a little crazy...

No comments: