Saturday, March 3, 2007

Philly

Well, I made it to Philly with no hassle and started off my time as a volunteer. After turning in paperwork and doing some "getting to know you" games with the other volunteers, we spent about 4 hours starting off orientation. The lectures were broad Peace Corps lectures about what it is to be a volunteer and what are expectations are and what is expected of us. It was a very particapatory 4 hours and we got to really speak honestly about what happens next. Today has been a reassuring process that has helped evolve my volunteer experience from a broad abstraction to something real that is happening. Lots of questions were answered and I feel a lot more content with what I signed up for. Afterwards I had some really good Thai food with a group of people and then have since retired to my room. We have a full day of orientation tomorrow where we go over more general Peace Corps stuff with logistical answers to what we do for the first week before we go to training. I know for sure that we will stay in a resort called Banana Village just north of the airport in Entebbe. Here we will get a crash course in basic cultural and logistical things while we recuperate from the jetlag. During this time, I will have no internet or phone access. They said that they'll try to get us 3 minutes to call family to tell them that we made it, but we'll see. Also, I know that internet access in Luwero (2 hours north of Kampala), where the 10 weeks of training will be, will have limited internet access and no phone access. If you don't hear from me for a while, that's why.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://www.traveluganda.co.ug/entebbe.asp

Good starting point. Brief description of Banana village near the bottom...